Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Empat - We are here for a higher purpose

I was on my way to TU (Technische Universität Wien) when I felt the vibration of the mobile phone in my pocket.

 'Hammam Abu Alkass' appeared on the screen.

I didn't hear from him for quite sometimes, the last time was when we were in the library. I helped him with Grundlagen der Chemie PS (Fundamental of Chemistry). It was one of the three main subjects (STEOP), namely Anorganische Chemie, Analytische Chemie, Grundlagen der Chemie, that we needed to pass in order to stay in Technical Chemistry. You are allowed to repeat the paper only once. The third time would be Komissionelle Prüfung, where there will be four professors examining you, either written or oral exams. 

He failed once and went for the second trial .

'Hallo, Hammam. Wie geht's?'
(Hi Hammam. How are you?)
'Ja, gut, danke. Huda, ich hab' eine Frage.'
(Yes, good. Thanks. Huda, I have a question.)
'Ja.'
(Yes)
'Kann man troztdem fürs Labor eintreten, obwohl man die STEOP noch nicht geschafft hat?'
(Is one still allowed to register for the lab course even though he hasn't completed his STEOP yet?)

I paused for a few second. He muss have failed the second trial.

'Ich weiß es nicht, Hammam. Aber ich kann es bei der Fachschaft fragen. Du hast den Test nicht geschafft, oder?' 
(I don't know, Hammam. But I can ask the student department about it. You failed the test, right?)
'Ja.' 
(Yes)

I knew how it feel. I still had one more chance for analytical chemistry. If I missed it, then there is no good reason for me to stay here in Vienna. If I were him, I would have thought that this could be the end of the world. No chance for technical chemistry anymore. I would have sit at the corner of the room regretting every single second that I've wasted on something else. 

But this guy, no. He worked like a horse. Eyes fixed in front. Mata tengok depan je. Tak pandang belakang langsung. He tried to get the job done, to go for any other possibilities to make it right, to make it done. You failed this, yes. But there were a lot more to be done. He didn't waste his energy regretting on that matter, 'cause he knew, he already tried.

Judging from our conversation on the phone, his German had improved a lot. I mean, A LOT. The first time I met him, he couldn't even explain where he was going. He couldn't understand it when I explained to him the marking system in TU.

So much to learn from a Palestinian guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment